Sunday, April 22, 2012

Consistency – The Difference between Men and Women






~Mike Wolcott

        The other day I went to Kohl’s to buy a pair of sneakers. I didn’t have to look around at all because I knew exactly what I wanted before stepping through the door. The last three times I’ve purchased sneakers it’s been this exact same Adidas model. I love the model for its versatility. You could wear these sneakers to a party and then turn around and wear them while jogging. They are stylish, comfortable, and offer good support. There aren’t too many situations where you couldn’t wear these sneakers, just a great all around shoe. Before I started wearing this particular Adidas model, I was on a streak of buying the same Nike model five straight times. The reason the Nike streak came to an end was that the model was discontinued. I was devastated when that happened, but life goes on.

        Some people would call it boring to always buy the same sneakers, but I call it consistency. I’m very "consistent" with most things in life. Ninety out of the last one hundred times I’ve gotten a drink at a bar it’s been one of three things: a Labatt Blue Light, a shot of Rumplimintz, or a gin and tonic. I’m the same way with ice cream. Ninety out of the last one hundred times I’ve gotten ice cream it’s been a medium chocolate cone or a Mexican sundae (if I’m feeling crazy). Anyway, the point that I’m trying to make is that I’m very consistent, and I think this is true of most men. Men like structure and order in their lives. In my opinion, consistency is a very masculine trait.

         Conversely, inconsistency seems to be a very feminine trait. Most women have seventy-five different pairs of shoes and will order "Wild Coconut" ice cream when it’s a special at Kone King. Women change their hairstyle/hair color seemingly every month. I on the other hand have gotten the same Lloyd Christmas haircut the last 816 times I’ve gone to Supercuts. How about the transience of a woman’s wardrobe? I’ve had the same "go-to" shirts for years now; a woman wears an outfit once and throws it away. Anyway, please understand that I’m not stating that "inconsistency" is always a bad thing. This article is simply an observation that I’ve made about a major difference between men and women. As I see it, both inconsistency and consistency have their pros and cons. On a personal note, perhaps it would benefit me to venture out of my comfort zone. There’s an old saying: "variety is the spice of life." This may be true, but the fact of the matter is that I enjoy my gin and tonics, medium chocolate cones, and Adidas sneakers. You can call it boring, but you can’t call it inconsistent.



P.S. Next time you’re at Kone King and hear a woman complaining about the "Candied Bacon" flavored ice cream she ordered, think A&M blog.



**NOTE: There was a point recently where my parents bought me FILA sneakers for my birthday. Multiple people told me that they looked like golf shoes.


2 comments: